Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Taj Mahal for Jax the Cat?

I recently rescued our neighbor’s cat, Jax. Little did he know how close he came to an untimely end. Happy with my new little buddy, I immediately went shopping for him so that he would feel comfy in his new abode. I brought home several pet beds hoping that he would choose them over my light colored furniture. That worked for about…a day…and now I have a few kitty beds floating around our house. I am not too crazy about them, to be honest. They are just not that attractive!

Musing over the ugly kitty beds, my mind began to churn; surely we could have an attractive place that Jax could call his own and that I could live with too. Then I remembered the pet “homes” from the wonderful furniture designer, Amy Howard. The designs are pretty fun and I can just picture Jax’s face peeking out of the “Taj Mahal.” (pictured below)


I visited Amy Howard at her studio in Memphis two years ago and was extremely impressed with her wonderful designs, the high level of hand craftsmanship, attention to detail and her gorgeous finishes. As they say, “to die for.” They really have to be seen to fully appreciate the depth and beauty of the finish. Each piece is a unique work of art. They really do glow. It was great fun to see the artists at work and to try my hand at gold leaf.

I have included a few photos of my studio tour.


Capri Dining Table Base





Harlowe Console unfinished






Clarissa Cocktail Table being finished







St. Regis Stool being sanded






Renaissance Day Bed during finishing





Artist painting shell design on headboard





Gold leaf being applied





Followed by some images of Amy’s wonderful designs.






Quinet Rope Screen


Capri Dining Table (wonderful!!!)



Tate Chair



Camilia Nesting Tables


Clarissa Cocktail Table






Unfortunatly, I just missed the red carpet being unrolled at 5:00 p.m. at The Peabody Hotel for the ducks as they make their way from the fountain in the lobby, to the elevator, and then up to their penthouse apartment. They have been doing this daily since 1933.





The ducks at The Peabody Hotel




The Lobby at The Peabody






I went in search of some authentic, regional fare while in Memphis and found it at the Flying Fish.

Lunch at the Flying Fish




Mud Bugs at the Flying Fish - yum!


For today, Jax has found his favorite place, on his blanket, with Louie the Lobster, on the ottoman at the foot of the bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!